Saturday, February 11, 2012

Red Velvet Waffles


Janis and I are sisters  I was the second of 6 and Janis second from the end. Our Mother was in different stages of life with each of us.  I had "Mother Earth", meaning she canned, grew vegetables, had goats and chickens and made made 100 percent whole wheat bread.  As a child I would go to school with a PB&J sandwich that was 2 inches thick, that my mother had lovingly prepared.   
The other kids would ask.
"Where did you get that bread?"  
They had never seen homemade whole wheat bread.  I on the other hand would look longingly at their wonder bread sandwich and 
that was all I wanted.  
Janis, had a mother that was going to school to get her bachelors and then nursing school. She had grown up with hot pockets and corn dogs in the freezer.  I tell this because Janis hates cake mixes.  To me they are the wonder bread sandwiches I always wanted.  I love them!  
Either way you fall.  Use a cake mix or Janis's 
Red Velvet Cupcake
These are amazing!
Let's get started
Cream together the cream cheese and butter.  Add vanilla, powdered sugar and milk.
 Whisk together until icing is smooth.
Mix as directed on the Red Velvet Cake mix.
Heat the Waffle Iron.  Don't over fill!  I did with my first one and I had red batter everywhere.
My Waffle Iron has a timer on it and I cooked the Cake Batter for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.  The time may vary for different Irons.
Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream Drizzle cream cheese icing and chocolate syrup over the whole thing.  Garnish with Whipped Cream and a cherry.

1 Red Velvet Cake Mix. 
For scratch Janis's Red Velvet Cupcake


Cream Cheese Icing
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
1 oz softened cream cheese
2 Tbsp soft butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 cup milk


Whisk together butter and cream cheese.  Add vanilla, milk and powdered sugar.  Whisk until smooth.  I used the whisk to drizzle the icing over the  warm waffle.




Print Recipe

Happy Valentines Day!
Enjoy

Love,
Barbara

1 comment:

  1. These look amazing! Can't wait to try them with the family.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let us know what you think!