Monday, December 19, 2011

Chocolate Macaroon Cupcakes

Sunday was my sons 3rd Birthday. I had every intention of making the cupcakes from scratch especially because the thought of a box cake mix makes me sick. After a late night with friends the night before I woke up Sunday and decided I really didn't feel like making cake at all so I grabbed a mix. What's ironic is by the time I was done messing with the cake mix I used as much time tweaking the mix as I would've just making one from scratch. Go figure...

I replaced the water that is called for in the mix with Buttermilk. I added flour, sugar, eggs, oil and cocoa
Since my son is only 3, I decided to make some mini cupcakes just for him. Bake mini cupcakes for 15 minutes and regular for about 21 minutes. While cupcakes are cooling I make my frosting and toast coconut

Cream your butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar. If you like a thicker frosting add more powder sugar. I think I have an unusual obsession with vanilla. I always up the vanilla if I add more sugar

I toast my coconut in the oven at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes until your coconut looks like this. Then I frost the cupcakes while the coconut cools.

As you know by my ghetto double boiler I'm not all fancy up in here. So to frost my cupcakes I use a gallon size ziplock bag  fill it up with frosting and cut a hole out. Haha Martha Stewart eat your heart out!
Dip your cupcake in the coconut. To finish it off I drizzle melted chocolate on the top. 
Now there are some crazies in my family who don't like coconut so for them I frosted the cupcakes like normal. I took my left over chocolate and drizzled it on wax paper and let it cool. Then I broke it up and stuck it on top of the cupcake

 xoxo Janis!!

Cupcakes
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
1 Chocolate Caxe mix
1 1/4 cup Buttermilk
3 eggs
1/2 Cup oil
3 Tbs Cocoa
1 cup Flour
1 cup Sugar

Mix all together and bake at 350 degrees for 21-22 minutes for regular size cupcakes and 15 minutes for the minis

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 pkg Cream Cheese
1 Cube Butter
2 tea (at least) Vanilla
3-4 cups powder sugar

Cream together. Add more powder sugar if you want a thicker frosting.

1 comment:

Feel free to let us know what you think!