Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Farm Apple Pie


I love Braeburn Apples!
I believe that they make the best apple pies.  I like the flavor of this apple and when it is baked it holds its shape.  Granny Smith apples tend to shrink.  You might make a mile high pie and when you go to cut it, the apples are not right up to the crust.
My pies always have a smile!  Pies need to be happy.  You have to cut holes in the crust to vent the pie.  You might as well make a smile.
You might notice I use whole  nutmeg.  I love the flavor of fresh grated nutmeg.
I like to use a deep dish pie plate.  I am a sucker for Pampered Chef products.  I love them!
Start by lining a pie plate with a bottom crust.  With a fork poke holes in the crust to vent the crust.
Yes, I am a gadget freak!  I love my apple peeler.  It cores and slices the apples all at the same time.
Slice apples into a large bowl.
I add the dry ingredients into a measuring cup and mix before I add to the apples.
Mix the apples gently and add to the crust.
Dot the top of apples with butter and add top crust and cut off excess.  
Lift the edges and brush water in between the crust to create a seal.
Crimp the two crust together.
Vent top crust and bake at 425 for 50-60 minutes.
To test apples, poke in a vent hole with a knife to see if the apples are cooked.  They should be soft like a baked potato.  
Hint ~ cut strips of tin foil and cover the edges of the crust to prevent the crust from burning.  Make sure to remove foil half way through the baking process.


Farm Apple Pie 
½ Cup white sugar
½ Cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
7 Cups Sliced Peeled Apples 
Line a 9 inch pie plate with bottom crust. Combine sugar, flour and spices. Mix lightly with apples. Heap into pie shell. Dot with butter and add top crust and vent top and bottom crust. Bake at 425 for 50-60 minutes. Apples should be soft like a baked potato.

Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let us know what you think!