Saturday, December 24, 2011

Grandma's Pie Crust

Well with this being Christmas Eve..... 
I am in the kitchen baking!  I bring the pies to Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinner every year.  That is my job!
I am just going to put it out there.  I collect Grandma's.  Growing up I didn't have a Grandmother in my life.  
So I collect them.
Anyways, This is my mother best friend's, grandmothers recipe.  It is at least 100 years old.
I grew up calling them Grandma White and Grandma Annie.  
I loved them!  
I spent many summers with them picking fruit, canning and drying apricots.
Start by breaking an egg in a measuring cup.  Add white vinegar and sugar. 
Fill with water to measure 1 cup liquid. 
Mix the egg mixture with a fork and set aside for 5 minutes.
 In a large bowl mix flour and salt.  Add the shortening.
With a pastry knife, cut in the shortening. (I do cheat and use the Crisco Sticks.  I don't have to measure from the can and make a mess) When I looks like the photo above I add the egg mixture.
Mix until the ingredient are all combined.  I usually get in there with my hands to finish the job. 
Try to work with the dough as little as possible.  The more you mess with it the tougher the crust!
 Place in a Ziploc baggie and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
This recipe makes 5 crust.  Divide up crust into 5 balls.   Roll out crust until thin ans flat.
Carefully roll the crust back onto the rolling pin.  This will keep the crust from tearing when you are placing it onto the pie plate.
Roll it onto the pie plate
With your fingers, fit the crust to the plate.  
Trim off the excess crust.
With your thumb and pointer finger crimp the edge of the crust.
Make sure to poke wholes with a fork in the crust to vent the pie.

Grandma's Pie Crust
5 Cups Flour
2 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Sugar
2 Tbsp White Vinegar
2 Cups Shortening
1 egg
Water
Break an egg in a 1 Cup measuring cup. Add Sugar & Vinegar fill with water until it reaches 1 cup total liquid. Mix and let sit 5 minutes. In a large bowl add flour salt and shortening. Combine and mix in liquid. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Makes 5 crust. Crusts can be froze for later use.

Print Recipe


I hope you enjoy Grandma's Crust.  
Let us know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Can you use butter or does it have to be shortening, like crisco?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter naturally has some water in it; shortening doesn't. You would have to add extra water. There are also baking texture differences, for example, cookies baked with shortening are higher and lighter, while butter cookies are flatter and crispier. This is because butter has a lower melting point than shortening, causing them to spread faster and more in the short time it takes to bake. If you are looking to remove Trans fats. Crisco now makes O Trans Fat shortening. They do make butter flavored Crisco if that is your goal. I have listed below the amounts of water you would need to add, if you used butter. I hope this helps ~ Thanks Barbara

      Butter/Margarine Substitute
      1/4 cup butter or margarine 1/4 cup Crisco shortening + 1-1/2 teaspoons water
      1/3 cup butter or margarine 1/3 cup Crisco shortening + 2 teaspoons water
      1/2 cup butter or margarine 1/2 cup Crisco shortening + 3 teaspoons water
      2/3 cup butter or margarine 2/3 cup Crisco shortening + 4 teaspoons water
      3/4 cup butter or margarine 3/4 cup Crisco shortening + 1 tablespoon + 1-1/2 teaspoons water
      1 cup butter or margarine 1 cup Crisco shortening + 2 tablespoons water

      Delete

Feel free to let us know what you think!