Friday, December 16, 2011

Not your Mom's Cake Balls


I came up with these cake balls when I made too much cake for a 3 tiered birthday cake I was making. There was so much left over cake that it seemed a shame to waste it. I googled recipes for cake balls and most said bake a cake and mix with canned frosting...at that point I threw up in my mouth and decided to try something else.  I decided to try using the ingredients found in a better than ...well...recess? cake. My husband and I have a name for these cake balls but it's probably not appropriate to share haha so the name is still to be determined. But these little balls are so addicting it's hard to stop eating them
As you can see you do use a cake mix. Make the cake according to the directions on the package.

P.S. are you jealous of my green 1970's kitchen aid?? The picture above is the cake after its been baked. I add the cake, hot fudge and sweet & condensed milk to the mixer and mix completely.. You will have a gooey mess on your hand if you try at this point to roll the cake mixture into balls so put it in the refrigerator until completely cool.
On wax or parchment paper roll mixture into balls and freeze. About 2 hours

Don't judge my ghetto makeshift double boiler it works!. Add milk chocolate and crisco into the double boiler and melt. My sister likes to use Guittard Melt & Mold Chocolate when she is dipping her chocolates and you don't need to use crisco with those.. I use the Guittard Milk Chocolate Chips and add 1 tsp of crisco and it works just fine and is cheaper. I like to use Guittard Chocolate because I heard a rumor that's what See's Candy uses...

Take the cake balls out of the freezer and start rolling in the melted chocolate. Since I don't use the melt & mold I remove my double boiler from the stove and keep the bowl sitting on top of the hot water to keep the chocolate from thickening while you roll them.

 xoxo Janis!!

Cake Balls
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
1 Chocolate Cake
1 Jar Hot Fudge
1 can Sweet & Condensed milk

Mix together. When cool roll mixture into balls. Place on wax paper and freeze about 2 hours

1 Package Milk Chocolate chips
1 tsp Shortening

Melt in a double boiler. Roll cake balls in chocolate

1 comment:

  1. I will be trying those in the near future. You are great and I'm so glad you have a blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let us know what you think!