Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Jam Strip Cookies

Jam Strip Cookies have been at every Christmas Eve I have had with 
The Shillingburg's.
It feels like from the beginning of time! 
This is one of those cookies that my kids ask, 
"Why do you only make this at Christmas?"
Mark's Auntie Bev is the one who introduce us to this wonderful cookie.
She is in poor health we don't know where she found this recipe. 
Love you Auntie Bev!
Start by creaming together butter, sugar and eggs.
If you have a large measuring cup.  I like to add the flour, salt and baking powder into the measuring cup and mix with a fork.  
Combine with the creamy mixture.
Mix until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
Place the dough on a sheet of clear plastic wrap.
Wrap it up to seal it and refrigerate for an hour.
Remove from refrigerator and roll flat around a quarter of an inch in thickness..  I cut it in 2 X 12 
(because that is how long my cookie sheet is)
Butter and lightly flour your cookie sheet and place the strips on the sheet.
with your thumb press to make a well in the middle of the cookie.  Spoon in Raspberry Jam.
(I like seedless Raspberry) 
There is such a thing as too much jam.  
It will spill over.  Not a big deal.
While the cookies are baking I mix up the icing for the top.  When the cookie comes out I drizzle the icing on top with the whisk.  I use a spatula to cut the cookies into 1 inch pieces and 
place on a cooling rack carefully.  
They will break if you are not careful.
I hope you enjoy our favorite Christmas Cookie!

 Jam Strip Cookies
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
1 C Butter
1/2 C Sugar
3 C Sifted flour
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 C Raspberry Jam

Icing
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
2 tsp Lemon Juice (Fresh)
2 1/2 tsp water
Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes

Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let us know what you think!