Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Absolute BEST Scones



OK I am soooo excited about these scones. I have never really liked scones I always felt like they were just a glorified biscuit. So when my sister fell in love with a scone place in Utah and asked me to figure out how to make them (side note I have the ability to taste something and recreate it. It's a terrible ability and the reason I just can't get skinny!!!)  I wasn't all that excited since the only scone I had ever tried was the dry crumbly ones at starbucks. These scones were different. They were delicious and filled with different jellies. I tried and tried and made really good scones. My sister would tell me these are really really good....but I still prefer the ones in Utah...until today. I have finally won her over with these Orange glazed scones. She told me she prefers these over the scones in Utah!! They are fabulous and my husband told me I should sell them in a store they are that good and the best part is they are super easy to make!!!

In a bowl combine Flour, Baking powder, sugar and COLD butter cut into little squares.
Using the paddle attachment on your kitchenaid or pastry blender cut butter into flour until it is pea size
In a bowl beat eggs, orange zest and cream and add to flour mixture.

Mixture will be sticky. Do not overmix.

On a well floured surface roll out dough about 3/4" thick and cut out. 

Before I bought my fancy circle cutters  I used the mouth of a drinking glass. It works just fine. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle sugar 
Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees

While scones are baking make your orange glaze. I used the cutties (small mandarin oranges) from Costco to make my glaze. I zested 2 cutties which was about 2 Tbs zest. Then I used the juice of the oranges about 3 TBS of juice. Combine with 3/4 C powder sugar, melted butter and very important VANILLA (my favorite) but seriously the vanilla really brings out the flavor.

Glaze and serve!! I think these are the best served warm. They are flaky and they literally melt in your mouth.  I am so excited for you all to try them. I want your feedback when you do!!
 xoxo Janis!!

Orange Glazed Scones
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
2 Cups Flour
1 TBS Baking Powder
1 1/2 Cubes Cold Butter (3/4 cup)
2 TBS sugar
2 Tbs Orange Zest
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
2 Eggs

In a bowl combine Flour, Baking Powder and sugar. Cut butter into squares and blend with a pastry blender until its pea size pieces. In a bowl beat eggs, cream and zest. Add to Flour mixture.  Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.. Roll out the dough about 3/4" thick on a well floured surface cut out and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes about 14 scones

Orange Glaze
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
1-2 TBS Orange Zest
3 TBS Orange Juice
1 tea Vanilla
1 TBS melted Butter

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and add to scones
3/4 cup Powder Sugar

1 comment:

Feel free to let us know what you think!