Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lettuce Wraps


With the New Year I'm sure you are all making resolutions to eat healthier or lose weight. I have the most delicious healthy lettuce wraps to help you on your way. I love these so much. I went to PF Changs with some girl friends and we ordered the lettuce wraps there. I actually preferred my wraps to theirs and it was actually hard for me to pay for something that I felt I make better. I hope you love them as much as I do.

Chop onion and throw it in a hot pan with a little sesame oil. 

While onion is sauteing Chop your napa cabbage leaves. Here's a picture of what Napa cabbage looks like in case you are like me and not have a clue what it looked like.
 
Throw cabbage into the pan with onions. Cook until tender about 4 minutes. Drain Excess water in a colander

Add ground turkey to onion/cabbage mixture and cook until no longer pink. Drain meat and add back to pan. Add cabbage/onion mixture,water chestnuts and shitake mushrooms.

  Shitake mushrooms can be hard to find and they can be pricey. I found the easiest and cheapest is to buy them in a can which can be found in the asian isle in the grocery store. Winco has them for about $0.44/can. If you can't find the can or them fresh you could always use the dried shitake mushrooms also found in the asian food isle. 

This is my favorite brand hoisin sauce.  My husband loves it so much he will add more on top of his lettuce wraps. Add Hoisin sauce, soy sauce and five spice powder and cook about 3 minutes. These tend to have a lot of liquid so I will sometimes add 3 TBS cornstarch to thicken it up. Serve in Lettuce leaves
 xoxo Janis!!
Lettuce Wraps 
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
1 Chopped Onion
10 Napa Cabbage Leaves
1 lb Ground Turkey
1 can Water Chestnuts
1 Can Shitake Mushrooms
1/4 cup Lite-Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Hoisin Sauce
1 tea Five spice powder

Chop onion and throw it in a hot pan with a little sesame oil. While onion is sauteing Chop your napa cabbage leaves. Throw cabbage into the pan with onions and cook about 3 minutes and drain excess water in a colander.  Brown ground turkey  until no longer pink Drain excess liquid. Add onion/cabbage mixture back in the pan with turkey and add Chestnuts and shitake mushrooms. Add soy sauce, hoisin sauce and five-spice powder and cook about 3 more minutes. Serve in Lettuce leaves

2 comments:

  1. I work with Beau (I think he said you were his sister maybe?) Anyhow I just went through every single post that you've made and I LOVE them all! You have some serious talent in the kitchen. Good job! I can't wait to try the lettuce wraps tonight...yummmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing from people that read our blog. Thank you. Yes Barbara and I (Janis) are both his sisters. I'm so excited you are trying these. I hope you love them like I do. If you feel like they need more flavor add more hoisin. Let me know what you think!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let us know what you think!