Friday, January 20, 2012

Tres Leches Cake


My Nephew is coming home today from a month long trip to Utah to build a motorcycle!!! This nephew will call me whenever he is craving something sweet. One day he had asked me to figure out how to make a Tres Leches Cake. He told me all I had to do was bake a cake mix...I don't know what he said after that because I stopped listening to the rest of his story once I heard cake mix!! I googled a bunch of recipes and combined all the things I liked about each recipe into one delicious goodness. This is now his favorite cake and I'm making it just for him to celebrate his home coming!
I would say that this cake is the vanilla version of a better than sex cake. In the summer I think it would be fantastic with fresh strawberries...

This seems a little complicated but actually its pretty easy. Get out 2 bowls and separate egg whites from the egg yolks into each bowl. In the silver bowl I am putting my egg whites so my kitchenaid can beat the whites while I beat the yolks

Add 1/4 sugar to whites, 2 tea vanilla and beat until you can turn the bowl upside down and not spill the whites. Egg whites are temperamental there can not be any moisture or the whites will not beat up the way you want them to. Without fail whenever my husband sees the whites all beat up like whip cream he will attempt to lick the beater. Sometimes I warn him and sometimes I keep my mouth shut so I can see his reaction when he tastes the nasty eggs expecting something else...

In the other bowl beat your yolks, 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tea vanilla ( no not a typo I add vanilla to both) until the yolks are light and have doubled in volume. Add Baking powder, milk and flour and mix

Fold Yolk Mixture into egg whites. Batter is light and airy almost like Angel Food Cake. Pour into a greased 9X13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes


The cake will be golden brown and pull away from edges. While cake is warm poke all around with the bottom of a wooden spoon. I let my kids do this step. They love to help.

In a bowl combine Can milk, whipping cream and sweet & condensed milk and stir. Pour mixture all over cake. Cover with siran wrap and set in fridge. Now if you can wait it's better to let sit in the fridge overnight but it usually doesn't last that long in our house.

Whip whipping cream, vanilla and sugar in a bowl until thick. Again you should be able to hold whipped cream over your head without it dumping on you. Spread on your cake and serve.
 xoxo Janis!!


Tres Leches Cake
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
5 Eggs Separated
1 Cup Sugar 
1 1/2 TBS Vanilla!!!
1 1/2 Tea Baking Powder
1 Cup Flour
1/3 Cup Milk

1 Can Can Milk
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/2 Cup Whipping Cream + 1 tbs sugar

1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Tbs Vanilla!!

Get out 2 bowls and separate egg whites from the egg yolks into each bowl. Add 1/4 cup sugar to whites, 2 tea vanilla and beat until you form stiff peaks. You should be able to turn the bowl upside down and not spill the whites.
In the other bowl beat your yolks, 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tea vanilla  until the yolks are light and have doubled in volume. Add Baking powder, milk and flour and mix. Fold Yolk mixture into the whites. Pour into a Greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Cake will be golden brown and will pull away from edges. Poke holes all over cake. In a bowl combine 1 Can Can Milk, 1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk, 1/2 Cup Whipping Cream + 1 tbs sugar. Pour liquid mixture all over cake and let cool in the refrigerator overnight. Before serving beat 1 pint whipping cream, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla until firm peaks form. Spread all over cake and serve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let us know what you think!