Monday, January 9, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

This is a "Man's" spaghetti sauce. I learned how to make this sauce years ago from a dear friend. I kick myself for not writing down the recipe as she was teaching me because we are no longer in close contact. I do remember the 2 secret ingredients though (chicken breast & enchilada sauce) and everything else changes depending on what I have in the house.
This sauce takes several hours to cook so it's not the fastest but the benefit is it makes several meals. Out of my sauce I made 1 spaghetti dinner, 2 lasagnas and I have 2 zip lock bags full of sauce ready for whatever in the freezer.

Throw your chicken breasts in the a very large pot. Dump all your cans of sauce in the pot. Add fresh basil, garlic ( I like to keep the vampires away so I use A LOT of garlic) and your sausages

I can't keep a straight face. Every time I look  at this picture it makes me giggle. And if you are questioning the use of enchilada sauce, my friend's very Italian Grandfather refuses to eat spaghetti sauce any other way and I think you will be a believer once you try it. It adds a nice kick. I always use a mild enchilada sauce so it's kid friendly
Once the sausage is cooked pull it out and slice it and add it back to the sauce. I used turkey sausage to make it a little healthier.
Cook the chicken until its tender enough to shred with a fork about 4-5 hours. Add your shredded chicken back to sauce. This helps thicken the sauce. I will sometimes add hot links to my sauce because we like things a little spicy!!
 xoxo Janis!!

 Spaghetti Sauce
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
(4) 28 oz cans Tomato Sauce
(1) 28 oz Can mild Enchilada Sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 bunch fresh basil chopped
5-6 cloves garlic minced
6 chicken Breasts
At least 2 from the list below

Other Options

Fresh Mushrooms
Italian Sausage
Meatballs

Hot links
Throw all ingredients in a pot and cook for about 4-5 hours. The above is my basic sauce recipe. I always add fresh mushrooms, turkey sausage and sometimes hot links. Add whatever you want. I like my sauce to be so thick you could eat it with a fork so the more meat the better!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let us know what you think!