Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas

First off...gross why didn't I clean the plate of that cheese string before I took the picture. Rookie move. I will replace this picture next time I make these (which will be soon because these are my husbands favorite meal)....Second sorry I didn't post this yesterday. I kind of had a sad day and didn't feel like doing anything but eat chocolate truffles. But I'm over it now and I'm posting this as a request from a sweet friend of mine.
I made these enchiladas for a group of people and one of the Hispanic guys there told me "this better be good because I have eaten really good enchiladas and I'll let you know" nothing like scaring the crap out of me before serving someone. The only thing I could think about after that comment the whole night was "what is he thinking...is it good?!?" Well it turns out he loved them and keeps requesting me to cook for him again.


So I think the secret to good enchiladas is how you flavor the chicken. I will throw Chicken in the crockpot for about 3 hours with onion, cilantro and green enchilada sauce.I also use as much of the bunch of cilantro as I can. Cook until chicken is tender enough to shred with a fork
Pull cooked chicken breast out and shred with a fork. Add shredded chicken back in the liquid

I add shredded cheese to the chicken mixture to help soak up some liquid. Here's the thing about these enchiladas you can make them as  healthy or as fattening as you like depending on the amount of cheese and what kind of tortillas you use.

I went with corn tortillas because I am trying to stay away from white flour and sugar for my New Years Resolution (we'll see how long that lasts!) So look forward to some healthy recipes in the near future. Dip your tortilla in a red enchilada sauce. Side note I have used the uncooked tortillas from Costco which is really good but time consuming. When my husband wants those kind of tortillas I make him cook them up for me while I shred the chicken. P.S. if you use corn tortillas remember to heat them up first otherwise they will crumble and fall apart.
Add chicken mixture into your smothered tortilla and roll up. I also threw in olives into my mixture if you are wondering what those black things are.
Cover in cheese and bake at 400 degrees until cheese is hot and bubbly about 20-25 minutes


Chicken Enchiladas
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
5-6 Chicken Breasts
1 onion, chopped
1 Large can Green Enchilada Sauce
1 Bunch chopped Cilantro
Tortillas
1 small can red enchilada sauce
Shredded cheese

Cook in a crock pot for 3-4 hours until chicken is tender enough to shred with a fork. Shred chicken and add meat back to liquid. Add desired amount of shredded cheese to chicken mixture. Dip tortillas into red enchilada sauce. Fill tortilla with chicken mixture. Roll up and put in a 13x9 pan.When pan is full top with shredded cheese and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to let us know what you think!