Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dutch Oven Potatoes

I came by this recipe from my brother in law, who is a wonderful cook.  Ron is a true Cowboy who grew up Cattle ranching in Wyoming.  He has taught me to love Dutch Oven cooking.  
Dutch Oven Cooking is one of my favorite things about camping.  I have several beautiful black outdoor dutch ovens. When we are camping, my kids love to have me fry up the left over potatoes for breakfast in the morning.
This was made with an indoor cast iron dutch oven.
  When we are camping I fry bacon and crumble. But, when I am home 
I like to use the Real bacon bits.
It makes this meal 1 step quicker.
Peel and slice potatoes.  I like to use a Mandoline to slice the potatoes.  
This creates uniform slices that will cook evenly.
Chop Onion
Spray the Dutch oven with oil to keep potatoes for sticking.  Sprinkly the bottom of the pan with onion
Spread a layer of sliced potato and  sprinkle with bacon and onion. And repeat
Keep repeating potato, bacon and onion until you fill the pan 
Pour 3/4 of the can of Soda over the potatoes and sprinkly with salt and pepper.
(The Original Recipe calls for Beer, But as i don not drink alcohol we substitute soda.)
 Bake in 375 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.

Cover with grated cheese.
 If you are like my Husband he says "You can never have enough Cheese!"
Place the lid back on the Dutch Oven to melt the cheese and serve.







Dutch Oven Potatoes
(recipe by http://twistedflavor.blogspot.com)
(I used a 2.5 Quart Dutch Oven)
10 Large Potatoes
1 Lb Bacon cooked and crumbles
1 med onion chopped
1 can of Lime lime soda or beer
2 Cups of Grated cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste


Peel and slice potatoes.  Chop onion and cook and crumble bacon.  Grate Cheese.
Sprinkle the bottom of a dutch oven with onion.  layer with bacon and onion.  
Keep repeating these step until you have filled the Dutch oven.
Pour the liquid over the potatoes and salt and pepper.
Cook at 375 degrees for 1hour and 15 to 30 minutes.  Cook until the potatoes are cooked thoroughly.
cover with cheese and place the lid back on top to melt the cheese.

Print Recipe

Then serve.  Enjoy!



Love,
Barbara



3 comments:

  1. I'm trying these. My family just might eat this. I don't have an indoor dutch oven, do I just use a dish with a lid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never done that way, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would use a little less soda. The evaporation of the soda is the only thing I am thinking about.

      Delete
  2. This sounds absolutely fantastic! I plan on trying it out on my family tomorrow! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to let us know what you think!